Northeast Ohio Radon Levels
The Cleveland / Akron area has shown an average indoor radon screening level greater than 4 pCi/L. This is considered the orange and red zone, and highly recommended by the EPA to test for radon and mitigate if necessary. In fact there are zero yellow counties in Northeast Ohio, which illustrates the dangers in our region of Radon Gas. EPA recommends testing and mitigation, as long-term exposure to these levels will increase the risk of lung cancer. The EPA states that 4 pCi/L is a recommended action level, yet homeowners can further reduce their potential lung cancer risk by mitigating homes that are below 4 pCi/L.
Our Highly Trained, Certified and Licensed Radon Technicians are experts at testing for radon gasses and developing a radon mitigation plan specific to your home. Our objective is to decrease the levels in your home to below EPA standard and oftentimes well below EPA Standard of 4PCI. Understanding the Northeast Ohio Regions and the challenges that come due to different foundation types, is what allows us to achieve such great results. We look forward to helping you and your family live in a healthier home environment.
What are the effects of Radon Gas?
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that 1 of 15 homes in the United States and as many as 1 of 3 homes in some states about 7 million homes have high radon levels. The Northeast Ohio Region is estimated to have radon in 1 of 3 homes. Even if your home or business has been tested in the past, it is recommended to be retested every few years. The reason being, is as the aggregate below your home changes or breaks down, so does the amount of Radon that is being released into your home.
So you might be asking how does Radon cause so many problems? Radon is a chemically inert gas that is electrically uncharged but it is also radioactive, and it is this fact that creates the potential for trouble. Radon does not have a smell so without proper testing, you would not be able to determine if your home or business has a radon gas problem.
You don't have to be a nuclear engineer to understand that radioactive materials decaying spontaneously is a problem. Within this decay process, radon progeny are formed which do carry an electric charge, this allows them to bind to tiny dust particles in the air, which can be inhaled by the lungs and adhere to the lining of your lung tissue. These deposited atoms decay within the lung tissue by emitting a type of radiation called alpha radiation, which holds the power to damage cells in the lung and mutate the structure of your DNA. This can start a chain reaction process that can lead to lung cancer.
You may also think since you do not spend a ton of time in the basement your chances of having a negative impact from radon are much less. Unfortunately, this is not true... Typically our mechanical systems are located in the basement which will move the radon around your home or office.